Wuhan University (WHU) is a comprehensive and key national university directly under the administration of the Ministry of Education. It is also one of the "211 Project" and "985 Project"universities with full support in the construction and development from the central and local government of China.
The history of Wuhan University can be traced back to Ziqiang Institute, which was founded in 1893 by Zhang Zhidong, the then governor of Hubei Province and Hunan Province in the late Qing Dynasty. In the process of development and evolution, the institute changed its name several times before it was finally named Wuhan National University in 1928. It is one of the earliest comprehensive national universities in modern China. By the end of 1946, the university had established 6 colleges, the colleges of liberal art, law, sciences, engineering, agriculture and medicine. In 2000, an amalgamation of the former Wuhan University, Wuhan University of Hydraulic and Electric Engineering, Wuhan Technical University of Surveying and Mapping, and Hubei Medical University was announced, which ushered in a new era in its 100-odd years of development.
For the past century, Wuhan University has built an elegant palatial architectural complex of primitive simplicity which blends perfectly the eastern architectural style with that of the west. It is honored as the "Most Beautiful University in China." Furthermore, Wuhan University's centennial humanistic accumulation boils down to its succinct motto, that is, "Self-improvement, Perseverance, Truth-seeking & Innovation."
Since its establishment, Wuhan University has cultivated more than 300 thousand professional talents in various occupations, among whom there are over 100 members of the Chinese Academy of Science and the Chinese Academy of Engineering. They have made great contribution to the national construction and social advancement. The remarkable achievements of Wuhan University have won itself an extensive international reputation. In 1999, the world renowned journalSciencelisted Wuhan University as one of the most prominent institutions of higher education in China. Burgeoning are the international exchanges and cooperation of Wuhan University in recent years. It has established cooperative relationship with more than 415 universities and research institutes in over 45 countries and regions.
Admission to Wuhan University
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport, above the age of 18 and under the age of 30.
- Applicants shall hold a senior high school diploma and provide high school transcript with the marks above B or over 70%.
- Applicants shall have strong competence in English language. Students from non- English speaking countries must provide the certificates of learning English in the primary and secondary schools or the certificates of English proficiency test.
- Applicants shall have reliable economic supports and guarantors. Medical insurance is compulsory during the period of study at our university.
- All the students in this program will be given one year as probation.
How to Apply
- High school diploma (notarized version, in notarized Chinese or English translation)
- High school transcripts (notarized version, in notarized Chinese or English translation)
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- English Proficiency Result t for non-native English speakers
|Fee Type||Amount (RMB)|
|Residence Permit Fee||400 RMB (less than one year); 800RMB (2-3 years); 1000RMB (over 3 years)|
|Physical Examination Fee||300/year|
|Accommodation||33RMB/day/person (single room); 30RMB/person/day (double room: a flat with 2 twin rooms)|
According to Regulation of Foreigners' Entry and Exit in P. R. China, students should register accommodation and fill in Registration for Provisional Accommodation after their entry. Those who accommodate in hotels or foreign students buildings on campus should register it to hotels or College of Foreign Students Education. Those who accommodate in other places (including home of local residents, inside the enterprises) should declare it to the local police station. Registration of Provisional Accommodation should be filled in clearly and completely with proper foreign abbreviations.
Changes on accommodation should be declared on time. Those who have applied for Residence Permit accommodate at the places registered rather than declaring accommodation registration. Those who leave the places registered and accommodate temporarily at other places (e.g. home of Chinese or foreign friends) should declare. Those who fail to complete such accommodation registrations or stay without any valid certificates will be fined 50 to 500 RMB in accordance with Regulations of Foreigners' Entry and Exit in P. R. China.